Relocate Malta



+356 27 400 777


Residence Malta (EU Registration Certificate)

For Sale
For Rent
Holiday Rentals


An EU/EEA citizen has the right to officially reside in Malta. When an individual intends to reside in Malta for a period longer than three months, he is obliged to apply for the EU Registration Certificate with the Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This also applies to non-EU/EEA citizens.

An EU national shall be allowed to stay in Malta providing that he has enough funds to sustain himself, private or State health cover and a place of residence.

The purchase of a residential property from an EU citizen which decides to transfer his sole residency to Malta has only one restriction. That is for the first 5 years only one property can be purchased unless the property lies in special designated areas. Such resident must pay taxes to the Maltese Government under the normal tax scope just like any other Maltese citizen. Such resident can also work on the island once the EU Registration Certificate and the Tax registration number are issued. No restrictions on the purchase price or the rental price of a property are applicable.


All the above information is an extract from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For further information click here to visit the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs Residence Webpage.

The following link leads you directly to the Inland Revenue Department showing the income tax rates when one is employed in Malta as a resident:
Malta Tax Rates


Residence documents to EU nationals

Application Form for EU Citizens


Application Form for NON-EU Citizens

The above file is in Acrobat pdf format. Click here to download the pdf reader for free.

Relocate Malta is neither a tax consultancy body nor an authorised Registered Mandatory for the Malta Retirement Programme. For further information kindly contact your preferred Registered Mandatory.